The Rectorial Benefice
of Llantwit Major

Our Churches:
St Donats
Marcross
Monknash
Wick
Llanmaes
Llanmihangel
Gileston
St Athan
Llantwit Major   

 

The Team
Parish Diary
Prayer List
Benefice Registers
Regular Events
Archives

 

Links:
Anglicans Online

CADW.

Church in Wales. Churchcare.

Wick & Marcross C in W School.

Ecclesiatical Insurance & Home Insurance too!

Society for the protection of Ancient Buildings

Ty Mawr Lime

Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme.

St James, Wick

St James

For times of Sunday Services and local news click in the photograph above

    The parish church of Wick is dedicated to St James the Great, and like many of the other churches in the parish dates from the 12th century. It began as a chapel, but was soon given to Ewenny Priory.

    It is a Grade 2* listed building and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and western 'saddle back' tower. The church is built in the Early English style, although the oldest parts of the structure such as the chancel arch, the south door, and a small window in the chancel, all date from the 12th century. The church has a medieval stone mensa altar, views of which are provided through the 'squints' or hagioscopes from the nave. The altar has unusual niches on either side, which probably contained statues of St James and the Blessed Virgin in centuries past.

    St James' was the subject of a major Victorian restoration 125 years ago and has been added to in several ways since that date.  The registers date from 1813

A full description of this church can be found in the book
'Medieval Churches of the Vale of Glamorgan' by
Geoffrey Orrin, published by D.
Brown.

 

Copyright (c) 2004 Rectorial Benefice of Llantwit Major. All rights reserved.