The Rectorial Benefice
of Llantwit Major

Our Churches:
St Donats
Marcross
Monknash
Wick
Llanmaes
Llanmihangel
Gileston
St Athan
Llantwit Major   

 

The Team
Parish Diary
Prayer List
Benefice Registers
Regular Events
Archives

 

Links:
Anglicans Online

CADW.

Church in Wales. Churchcare.

Wick & Marcross C in W School.

Ecclesiatical Insurance & Home Insurance too!

Society for the protection of Ancient Buildings

Ty Mawr Lime

Listed Places of Worship Grant Scheme.

St Tathan, St Athan

St Tathan

 For times of Sunday Services and local news click in the photograph above.

 The parish church is dedicated to St Tathan, a Celtic saint who founded a church here in the 6th century.

The present church is built to a cruciform plan in the Decorated style of architecture of the 14th century with a central tower containing six bells.The south transept is the Berkerolles Chapel and houses two fine tombs-chests of the 14th century. They represent the two penultimate generations of the Berkerolles family of East Orchard, St Athan - Sir William (died 1327) and Sir Roger (died 1351) together with their wives. The shields surrounding the monuments were recoloured in 1932 by Major and Mrs Ridley of West Hoathley, Sussex, who claimed descent from the Berkerolles family through the Stradlings of St Donats.On the outside south wall of the nave, near the porch is a memorial in Welsh to John Williams (1728-1806), the famous hymn writer.

 The burial registers date from 1663, baptisms from 1679, and marriages from 1683 and St Tathan Church is a Grade 1 listed building

A full description of this church can be found in the book
'Medieval Churches of the Vale of Glamorgan' by Geoffrey Orrin,
published by D. Brow
n.

 

Copyright (c) 2004 Rectorial Benefice of Llantwit Major. All rights reserved.